Fettuccine with Watercress Pesto & Stilton



I love basil pesto and this summer I want to explore pesto made with other herbs. My problem with pesto is that it's so high in fat. I usually leave out the Parmesan cheese in my basil pesto and use as little olive oil as possible.

The watercress pesto recipes I looked at called for mayonnaise in addition to walnuts and walnut oil. This really didn't appeal, so I used Dijon mustard to add some creaminess. I thought it tasted great, especially topped with a little Stilton, and was chatting away when I realized hubby had stopped eating. It wasn't the taste he didn't like, he said, it was just way too dry.

I personally liked the flecky pesto with the contrasting creamy Stilton, but it's not for everyone. Happily, the dryness is easily corrected by adding more olive oil.

Watercress Pesto:

1 clove garlic
pinch of salt
1 tbsp walnut oil
2 tbsp walnut pieces
1 bunch watercress leaves, chopped
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

In a mini-prep, puree the garlic and salt. Add the walnut oil and walnuts and puree, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the remaining ingredients and process until creamy.

Mix with drained fettuccine and top with crumbled Stilton.

Comments