Flatbread with Zahtar ("Lebanese pizza")


I was introduced to toasted flatbread with zahtar (or za'atar) by a university friend whose dad was Lebanese. She used to eat it for a snack, or for breakfast with creamy Greek yogurt. I found it very exotic and appealing.

I had long ago forgotten the name of the fragrant herb mixture she mixed with olive oil, so I was excited to recently rediscover zahtar, an aromatic mixture of sumac, thyme, sesame seed and salt popular in Middle Eastern cooking. Zahtar is commonly served with flatbread or pita with olive oil, but can also be sprinkled on salads and used to season potatoes.

For the scrumptious "pizza" above, I used Trader Joe's Middle Eastern Flat Bread brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with zahtar, and added thinly sliced tomatoes and a little feta. Popped it under the broiler for 3 minutes - a tasty quick lunch that still seems exotic and appealing!



Comments