Corn Salad



I love salads in warmer weather and I love creating them out of whatever I have on hand.



This is a deliciously colourful salad that makes good use of store cupboard ingredients. In North America I would use fresh corn . . . but I hate to tell you UK . . . your fresh corn over here sucks. It tastes like what we would call cow corn back home . . . not tasty at all. That's why I have used tinned corn here . . . the Green Giant Salad corn actually tastes pretty close to fresh, so that's what I use.



I always leave my tomatoes in a bowl on the counter top at room temperature. Tomatoes from the shops might be red . . . but they are never truly ripe. Leaving them on the counter for a few days brings out their natural sweetness and they taste pretty good and not anaemic!



Avocado . . . what can I say here . . . but I love them. Their rich and buttery creaminess is moreish to me. I can't get enough of them, and their texture goes so well with the crunchiness of the corn.



I love coriander and there is a nice amount of this in the tasty lime dressing for this salad. I know that it is an herb you either love or hate . . . which I happen to love. If it's not for you, then you could certainly use some chopped flat leaf parsley, but you are not going to get the same flavour kick using parsley . . . c'est la vie!



Altogether all the ingredients are colourfully exciting and delicious! I served it with some grilled chicken and it went together very well. I think it would be very tasty with some grilled fish or pork as well!



*Corn Salad*
Serves 6
Printable Recipe

Crunchy corn, creamy avocado and sweet tomatoes in a tangy lime and coriander dressing!!

3 tins of salad corn niblets, drained (about 3 cups)
1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, quartered (about 1 cup of tomatoes before quartering)
1 firm, but ripe avocado, peeled and diced
2 TBS finely chopped red onion
a handful of chopped fresh coriander (1/4 cup cilantro)

For the dressing:
2 TBS fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp finely minced fresh garlic
3 TBS olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Chopped Coriander to garnish, optional (chopped cilantro)

Place the corn, tomatoes, avocado, onion and coriander in a salad bowl and gently combine, using your hands. Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour over top of the salad and gently mix. Garnish with more chopped coriander if desired. Serve at room temperature.

Comments