It's finally here. I found the secret to creating a perfect crust. Back a few weeks, we went to Lepp's to demonstrate Pie Making. I think that I learned more than most of the quests that evening. So many of the MGCC ladies shared practical hints that totally made sense. Over the past years, I've been very frustrated at not attaining a perfect pie crust that would not shrink. I had actually given up until I did a google search and found this wonderful method. I was ecstatic, as I shared this news with my walking partners the next morning and yet, they smiled. Seemingly they seem to know about this method.
Then why didn't any of these ladies ever share their secret?
So later that evening while we were sharing tips about pie making...Judy came to me and said, "I used that method today to make sure my crust would not fail, only I used teaspoons as weights." You need to run over and sample Judy's fresh Raspberry Pie.
Meanwhile I did some more research and noticed that Lovella also had her own No Shrink Fool Proof Pie Crust method. Lovella uses aluminum foil. Check out her favorite Dorothy's Pie Crust recipe and you will see her method. Anyways, as you all know...there are so many different ways to make or cook pies, but it's always fun when you can find something new that is fool proof.
Marg's Method:
Hopefully this will be helpful for some of you and don't forget to share these tips with your friends.
Then why didn't any of these ladies ever share their secret?
So later that evening while we were sharing tips about pie making...Judy came to me and said, "I used that method today to make sure my crust would not fail, only I used teaspoons as weights." You need to run over and sample Judy's fresh Raspberry Pie.
Meanwhile I did some more research and noticed that Lovella also had her own No Shrink Fool Proof Pie Crust method. Lovella uses aluminum foil. Check out her favorite Dorothy's Pie Crust recipe and you will see her method. Anyways, as you all know...there are so many different ways to make or cook pies, but it's always fun when you can find something new that is fool proof.
Marg's Method:
- Place a piece of parchment paper the size of the pie plate inside the pie shell,
- Scatter pie weights, or spoons, or beans or split peas,over the parchment paper. (in other words, a weight that will not burn in 5 minutes). This helps the shell to retain its shape.
- The shell should be baked at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until the fluted edge is a golden brown.
- The weights and parchment should be removed after 5 minutes of baking, and then continue to bake the remainder of time or until golden brown.
- One word of caution....don't spill the beans/peas when you try to lift out the parchment paper.
Lovella's Method:
- Heat your oven to 400. Roll your dough out to fit a 9 inch pie plate.
- Ease it in without stretching, and to bake it empty, just line with aluminum foil pressing it against the edges, and bake it for 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake until brown. Cool.
Hopefully this will be helpful for some of you and don't forget to share these tips with your friends.

Comments
Post a Comment