Birthday Cake Batter Ice Cream

I created this ice cream to help kick off the start (or birth) of 2012.   I’ve got good vibes about this year you know! Not only is the ice cream flavoured of birthday cake, but it’s got birthday cake chunks AND buttercream pieces swirled throughout!  You can’t tell me that doesn’t sound AMAZING!!  



Unfortunately 2012 didn’t start out exactly as I’d imagined.  I’d planned to spend New Years Day making this birthday cake ice cream, and then telling you guys all about it.  I had the liquid ice cream mixture chilling in the fridge overnight, so it was ready to be poured into my brand new ice cream maker (I’d won it way back in the summer from Tesco Supermarket via a contest they were having on Twitter, but haven’t had a chance to use it until now.)  Jayden had just woken up from his nap, and upon picking him up I noticed he was incredibly hot and had a temperature of 39.3ºC (102.7ºF).  To make a long story short, we ended up spending New Years Day in the emergency room at our local hospital before being transferred upstairs to the children's unit for another 3 days. They weren’t sure what exactly was causing his temperature, but every time they got it back down it would return within a few hours.  They’d ruled out all the minor infections and viruses, so decided it was best to test him for meningitis.  Thankfully the tests came back negative, and 2 days later his temperature returned to normal.  We were finally able to return home on the evening of January 4, and I’m pleased to report that Jayden is doing much better.  I couldn’t have asked for better care from the Dr’s and nurses.  I had a lot of spare time on my hands while we were in the hospital, so luckily I was able to work on my Mint Oreo Cupcake post while we were there.  
With Jayden doing much better, I wanted to give my ice cream another try.  I whipped up a fresh new batch of the ice cream mixture, chilled it overnight and then poured it into my ice cream maker.  I watched the paddle turn the liquidy mixture into a nice smooth creamy ice cream.  There’s something oddly gratifying about watching ice cream churn. I couldn’t keep my eyes off the machine!



After the ice cream reached the proper consistency, I stirred in the chunks of birthday cake and buttercream icing before transferring it to a plastic container to firm up in the freezer for a few hours.
I cannot tell you how good this ice cream is!!!  It reminds me of my birthday parties when I was a kid.  My mom would make the most amazing character cakes using these shaped Wilton pans, and then we’d eat it with a nice big scoop of ice cream.  That’s what this ice cream tastes like!  A childhood birthday party all rolled up in a single scoop of cold creamy deliciousness!  YUM!  

Birthday Cake Batter Ice Cream
Serves 2 - feel free to double the recipe, but my ice cream maker only holds a small amount.
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Whole Milk
1/4 Cup White Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Cup Double Cream or Whipping Cream
1/2 Cup Yellow Cake Mix, sifted (I used Betty Crocker French Vanilla)
1 Cup Cubed Cake
1/3 Cup Buttercream Icing
Sprinkles to garnish
Instructions:

1.  To prepare your buttercream to be used in the ice cream, put a small amount in a piping bag and pipe buttercream lines onto a cutting board covered in cling film.  Put the cutting board in the freezer for an hour or two so the icing can freeze.  Using a sharp knife, cut the buttercream icing lines into 1/2 inch (approx 1cm) pieces, transfer to a small dish and pop them back in the freezer until you’re ready to use them in step 4.

2.  Pour the cream and vanilla into a medium sized bowl (one that has a lid), sift in the cake mix and whisk until well combined, set aside.  In a small saucepan whisk the milk, sugar, and egg yolk together until well blended. Cook the mixture over medium-low heat until stirring constantly until it reaches 160ºF (70ºC).

3.  Remove the mixture from the heat and pour it into the cream and cake mix mixture. Whisk together until well combined.    Put the lid on the bowl, and place in the refrigerator or freezer overnight or for several hours until the liquid is cold.

4.  Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions until it reaches "soft-serve" consistency. Gently stir in the birthday cake chunks , and buttercream pieces.  Transfer ice cream to a plastic container with a lid, and place in the freezer for several hours or overnight until the ice cream has firmed up a bit. 

I’m so pleased with my ice cream invention and how easy it was to make, I can’t wait create more delicious flavour combinations.  I think I may just have to sever ties with my long standing friends Ben & Jerry.  Sorry guys, but our time together may have just come to an end!

Comments