Mint Oreo Cupcakes


I can’t tell you how long I’ve wanted to bake these cupcakes.  It’s probably been close to two years, but I really can’t say for sure. The original recipe called for regular Oreo’s, but I had a package of mint Oreo cookies sitting on my baking shelf for over 6 months just screaming to be used.  I’d picked them up during a recent trip to the States, knowing that they were destined to become the “star ingredient” in one of my future baking creations. I’d struggled to decide what I should make with the mint Oreos - the possibilities were endless. Milk shakes, cheesecakes, brownies, Oreo truffles, cookies, etc., but in the end the cupcakes won.  It had been ages since I baked cupcakes, and ever since I saw these Oreo cupcakes online, I knew I just had to make them.  I also knew that the addition of mint would make them irresistible.  


These cupcakes required me to use the majority of my coveted package of mint Oreos (FYI: UK Oreo packages are a third of the size of the US package above!), something I was a little reluctant in doing. What if they didn’t turn out? I would have “wasted” my precious mint Oreos.

I’m going to be honest and say that I was actually quite hesitant about making this recipe because it said to whip the butter for a few minutes and then mix in the milk and vanilla.  This resulted in a cold liquidy and lumpy buttery mess.  Almost every other cupcake recipe I’ve made called for the butter to be creamed with the sugar.  I continued making them, and I’m glad I did because they turned out great!  The cake was a tiny bit denser than the other cupcakes I bake, but not in a bad way.  It was still nice and moist, and the Oreo’s were studded throughout the cupcake.  The only thing I wish I could change was that a lot of the whole Oreo’s that lined the bottom of the cupcakes stuck to the paper a little bit, which made them hard to remove from the liners.  If anyone has a tip to prevent this please let me know!  I was thinking that pouring a tablespoon of batter into the paper liners before placing the Oreo’s in may help?

I can’t wait to try this recipe with other Oreo flavours.  Unfortunately in the UK the only flavours available are regular and chocolate, but from what I remember mint, peanut butter, golden, and seasonal varieties are all available in the US. How unfair!



Mint Oreo Cupcakes
Slightly Adapted from Beantown Baker

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup (114g) Butter, at room temperature
1 Cup (250ml) Milk 
2 tsp Vanilla extract
2 1/4 Cups (280g) Flour, plus 2 Tbsp for the Oreo chunks
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt 
1 2/3 Cup (375g) Sugar
3 Large Egg Whites, at room temperature
1 pkg Mint Oreo Cookies (~45 cookies)

Instructions: 

1.  Preheat oven to 350F. Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan. 
2.  Twist apart 24 Oreos. Place the wafer with filling on it, filling side up, in the bottom of each paper liner. Cut other wafers in half. Save 24 halves to place in the frosting. Crush the other wafer halves, also for garnishing.
Cut the remaining Oreo cookies into quarters with a sharp knife. Toss with 2 Tbsp flour and set aside.
3.  In a large bowl cream the butter until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add the milk and vanilla and mix to combine.
4.  In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
5.  Add the dry ingredients to butter mixture. Mix until integrated. Stir in sugar. With an electric mixer on low speed, beat for 30 seconds. Turn the mixer up to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes. Add the egg whites. Beat for 2 more minutes. Stir in the quartered cookies.
6.  Fill the cupcake lines three-quarters full. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in the pan.
Mint Buttercream Icing


Ingredients:

1 Cup + 2 Tbsp (250g) Butter, room temperature
5 1/2 Cups (700g) Icing Sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 - 1 tsp mint extract (depending on how strong you want it)
2 - 4 Tbsp Milk
Green food colouring (optional)


Instructions: 


1.  In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and a 1/2 cup (65g) of the icing sugar together until well combined. Continue to add the icing sugar to the butter mixture 1/2 a cup at a time. Once the buttercream mixture starts to get a bit stiff, add the vanilla and mint extracts, and 2 tablespoons of the milk,.  Repeat these steps until all of the icing sugar is incorporated into the butter mixture.  You may want to add in more milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency. 

Comments