Red Velvet Cake Batter Ice Cream


So tomorrow's Valentine's Day, but unless you've been living under a rock I'm sure you already knew that.  But maybe you forgot - so let this be a subtle reminder.  

Have you sorted out what your doing tomorrow?  Flowers, chocolates, a romantic dinner?  I'm afraid I can't help you with any of those, but I can help you make a really delicious dessert!  Remember that birthday cake batter ice cream I made last month?  Well I've updated the recipe for Valentines Day and I'm sharing it with you.  So before you read any further, I suggest you go get your ice cream maker out of storage and get it chilling in the freezer!

When you think of a Valentine's Day dessert, what automatically comes to mind?  I'm just going to assume you said Red Velvet, cuz that's what I'd think of too.  These days it seems like everyone is doing red velvet "something."  I've seen red velvet pancakes, red velvet martinis, red velvet crepes, red velvet fudge, and red velvet brownies.  You name it, I've seen it.  Heck, I've even got an entire board dedicated to the Red Velvet creations I've come across on Pinterest (check it out, and feel free to follow me!)  I've come across one or two red velvet ice cream recipes as well, but nothing at all like this one! 


Unlike the other red velvet ice cream recipes I've seen, my version incorporates red velvet cake mix which gives it's rich red velvet colour and taste, but it's also got big chunks of red velvet cake AND swirls of cream cheese icing inside.  But wait!  There's more!  I've also topped it off with even more gooey cream cheese icing. Oh, and some cute little heart sprinkles just as an added reminder that it's Valentine's Day.  

So do you want to know how to make my Red Velvet Cake Batter Ice Cream?  Well, most importantly you'll need a box of Red Velvet Cake Mix (UK residents, you can order the Red Velvet Cake Mix herehere, or here.)  You'll also need a few other things, so check out the recipe below.


Red Velvet Cake Batter Ice Cream
Serves 2 - feel free to double the recipe, but my ice cream maker only holds a small amount. 

Ingredients: 

1/2 Cup (125ml) Whole Milk 
1/4 Cup (113g) White Sugar 
1 Egg Yolk 
1 tsp Vanilla 
1 Cup (250ml) Double Cream or Whipping Cream 
1/2 Cup Red Velvet Cake Mix, sifted 

1 Cup Cubed Frozen Red Velvet Cake**
Cream Cheese Icing, divided (recipe below)
Sprinkles to garnish

Cream Cheese Icing:

4.5oz (125g) Cream Cheese
1 Cup (130g) Icing Sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla


Instructions:  

1.  First you'll need to make your cream cheese icing which will be used as the swirl inside the ice cream, as well as the topping. Combine the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla in a medium sized bowl until smooth.  The icing should be slightly runny, but not watery.  Set aside, until it's ready to be used in step 4.

2.  To make the ice cream mixture, pour the cream and vanilla into a medium sized bowl (one that has a lid), sift in the cake mix and whisk until well combined, set aside.  In a small saucepan whisk the milk, sugar, and egg yolk together until well blended. Cook the mixture over medium-low heat until stirring constantly until it reaches 160ºF (70ºC).  

3.  Remove the mixture from the heat and pour it into the cream and cake mix mixture. Whisk together until well combined.  Put the lid on the bowl, and place in the refrigerator overnight or for several hours until the liquid is cold.  

4. Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions until it reaches "soft-serve" consistency. Gently stir in the frozen red velvet cake chunks.  Pour 1/2 of the of the ice cream mixture into a plastic container (one that has a lid), and then swirl a few spoons of the cream cheese icing into the mixture.  Pour the other half of the ice cream mixture on top, and then swirl in a few more spoonfuls of the cream cheese icing.  Place the ice cream in the freezer for several hours or overnight until it has firmed up a bit.

5.  When you're ready to serve the ice cream, put a few scoops in a bowl, and top it off with a few more spoonfuls of the cream cheese icing and some sprinkles.  Enjoy!

** I found it was easiest to divide my red velvet cake mix into three equal parts.  Since the cake mix calls for 3 eggs, it's easy to divide the extra required ingredients (oil & water) into three so you can just bake 1/3 of the cake.  I baked my cake in a 8 inch round pan, and froze the round once it was baked.  Then once the cake is frozen, it's really very easy to cut into cubes and then refrozen until you need it for your ice cream.


Oops!  After taking the time to photograph my ice cream it got a little melty!  

Comments