Sainsbury's Cookie Review


Way back in August when I was still 9 months pregnant, the fabulous folks over at Sainsbury's contacted me to see if I'd like to try out some of the new cookies they were launching.  They thought it might be nice for me to have some cookies on hand to offer my guests who were going to come and visit my new baby.  How nice of them to realise that I wouldn't have the time to bake anything.  Heck, it's now 6 months later and I still barely have time to bake!


I was thrilled (and slightly relieved) when I received a big box containing 6 different types of cookies.  Seriously, isn't that every pregnant women's dream???  There were Butterscotch Shortbread Thins, Mini Milk Chocolate Butter Biscuits, Giant Raspberry and White Chocolate Cookies, Lemon Curd Shortbread Sandwiches, Raspberry Whoopie Pie Biscuits, and the ever popular Pink Wafer.

So what did I think?  

Giant Raspberry and White Chocolate Cookies & Butterscotch Shortbread Thins

Well, let's start with the Butterscotch Shortbread Thins (£1.59).  As the name suggests, these were a thinner shortbread cookie/biscuit that had crunchy melted butterscotch bits scattered throughout.  I'm usually not a fan of shortbread cookies, but these were different as the whole cookie offered up a nice crunch.  These wouldn't be my first choice when it comes to a cookie, as I usually like something a bit richer and more decadent, but if I was looking for a nice cookie to savour with a cup of tea, these would be it.


The Mini Milk Chocolate Butter Biscuits (£1.00) were more my thing.  Mainly because they had chocolate on them.  Have I mentioned before that I like chocolate? :-P  These cookies were perfect for sharing.  Although they came in a fairly small bag, there were a lot of little cookies crammed in there.  These are the type of cookie you'd keep in your office desk and much on when you get a craving or need a little pick me up.  Or, if you're feeling generous you could share them as well.  There's plenty to go around. 

The Giant Raspberry and White Chocolate Cookies (£1.99) had a really nice flavour to them.  What I liked the best was the suggestion on the package to pop them in the microwave for a few seconds just before you eat them.  The result is a warm and soft cookie with a pleasant raspberry and white chocolate flavour.  Although I did really like the raspberry and white chocolate combination, I think I would have preferred the triple chocolate version (Giant Extremely Chocolatey Cookies) even more.  You know, cuz I like chocolate!

Pink Wafers & Lemon Curd Shortbread Sandwhiches

Then there were the Lemon Curd Shortbread Sandwhiches (£1.99).  I couldn't wait to try these, but unfortunately I was a bit disappointed with them.  They looked delicious, but my husband and I both agreed that there just wasn't enough lemon curd in the middle to pack a nice lemony flavour.  I think they would be better if there was a little less shortbread and a little more lemon filling.  I did like the sugary tops though. 


The second cookie to have raspberry in it were the Raspberry Whoopie Pie Biscuits (£1.49). This name threw me off a bit, as I thought that the biscuit would have been soft like a whoopie pie, not crunchy and crumbly like it was.  The whoopie pie biscuits were raspberry flavoured swirl cookies with a vanilla filling sandwiched in between.  Surprisingly my berry hating husband really liked these.  While I thought they were good, I don't think they deserve to be called whoopie pies  when they're really just a fancy sandwich cookie.

Finally were the classic Pink Wafers (£0.55).  These were peachy coloured layered wafers with a vanilla cream in between each layer.  You can't really go wrong with wafer cookies.  Although these were also good, but I would have liked them to have a pinker colour and maybe filled with a strawberry cream rather than vanilla.


Thanks again to Sainsbury's for these delicious cookies.  My guests loved them, as did my husband and I.  Most of the cookies above are available in a variety of different flavours, so check in store or online to see if they have your favourite flavour combination.

Happy munching!

Comments