Coconut Ice


My how time flies!  It seems like just yesterday that I was eight months pregnant and in the kitchen whipping up numerous batches of blue treats for my baby shower.  I know I've told you several times either here, on twitter or on facebook that I'd share the recipes with you, but it's now eight months later and I realise that I've not shared any of them with you!

Well let me put a stop to that right now!  

The first baby blue treat I made for my baby shower was Coconut Ice which is a retro UK sweet that's traditionally pink, not blue.  I'd never even tried it before, but I loved the way it looked when I first saw it on Pinterest.  

The other thing I loved about this Coconut Ice was just how easy it was to make - it only has 4 ingredients!  Oh so simple!

Coconut Ice is a sweet and chewy coconut square that lasts a week or so when stored in the fridge.  I've been told by several friends that this recipe tastes just like the real stuff they remember from their childhood.



Coconut Ice 

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups (560g) Icing Sugar  
2 1/2 cups (200g) Shredded (Desiccated) Coconut  
395g Can Sweetened Condensed Milk  
1 tsp Vanilla Extract  
Food colouring (traditionally pink, but you can use any colour you feel like)  

Instructions:

1. Line the base and sides of a deep (4cm+) 19cm square dish with plastic cling wrap  
2. Sift the icing sugar into large bowl. Stir in the coconut, condensed milk and vanilla extract.
3. Press half the mixture firmly into the base of the pan.  Work the food colouring into the remaining mixture, kneading well in order to distribute the colour.  Press the coloured layer evenly over the white layer.  
4. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.  Remove the coconut ice from tray, peel away the cling wrap, and cut into squares.  The coconut ice will keep for a week if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.



And if your wondering about the cute little stuffed dog in the pictures, it was one of several that my husbands cousin made to help decorate the baby shower.  I think they were Kath Kidston designs that she got from a craft magazine.  Pretty cute huh?

Comments