Mini Chocolate Malt Cupcakes

Christmas Tried and Tested: Mini Cupcake Maker Review



It's official, Christmas is only a month away, and I'm pleased to say I've got almost all of my Christmas shopping done - or at least planned.  I'm on fire this year!  I used to love Christmas shopping. I still do, but it seems like the shopping malls are so much more chaotic over here in the UK (especially the parking lots!), so I've resorted to doing most of my shopping online this year.  There's loads of great online shops in the UK that sell some really unique things - something I don't really remember having when I lived in Canada (yes we had online store, just not very good ones - at the time). So if you're like me and don't feel like braving the masses this year, then you're in luck because I've got some great reviews coming your way that should hopefully help ease the shopping process for you!

First up is something I would have killed for when I was younger, and even though I'm a bit older now I still think it's pretty cool.  This awesome mini pink cupcake maker was sent to me by the fabulous folks over at Find Me A Gift.  It bakes 7 mini cupcakes in a matter of minutes. No need to heat up the oven!  



I loved the fact that I could use our oven to cook dinner, and at the same time bake dessert using this mini cupcake maker on our countertop.  I ended up making some chocolate malt cupcakes that have been on my "to bake list" for at least two years now. They baked up great in this little machine - nice and moist with perfectly domed tops (which I'm sure also has a lot to do with the recipe).  I think my only point of criticism is that the cupcakes were small - I prefer regular sized cupcakes unless I'm at a party or somewhere where there'll be multiple desserts.  But I can totally see this cupcake maker becoming the centre of attention at a girls slumber party where everyone could get a chance to bake and decorate a few cupcakes.



Chocolate Malt Cupcakes
Recipe from That Winsome Girl

Cupcake Ingredients:

2 1/4 Cups Flour 
3/4 Cup Cocoa Powder 
1/2 Cup Castor Sugar 
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda 
1/2 tsp salt 
1 Cup Whole Milk 
1 1/2 Cups Malted Milk Powder 
1 Cup Oil 
3 Eggs, room temperature 
1 Cup Sour Cream, room temperature 
1 tspVanilla Extract

Buttercream Ingredients:

1 Cup Butter,room temperature 
1 Cup Vegetable Shortening (Crisco or Trex), room temperature 
1/2 Cup Malted Milk Powder 
4 Tbsp Cocoa Powder 
5 Cups Icing Sugar, sifted

Instructions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins (or mini cupcake maker) with paper liners. Whisk together the flour, cocoa, brown and white sugars, baking soda and salt. Set aside.  


2.  In another bowl, whisk the milk and malted milk powder together until the powder is dissolved.   With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the flour mixture, milk mixture and oil until combined.

3.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated.  Add in sour cream and vanilla, and beat just until combined.

4.  Divide batter evenly among the lined cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in centres comes out clean. Cool before icing.

5.  While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and shorting together for several minutes until very light and fluffy. Sprinkle in the malted milk powder and cocoa powder. Whip for 1 minute. Add the powdered sugar a few spoonfuls at a time, letting it incorporate until the frosting becomes thick and stiff before piping onto your cooled cupcakes.    



Overall I was really impressed with the this little gadget.  I can totally see it on the top of many girls Christmas lists this year, especially those aged about 8 - 14, but really anyone can use it.  And at only £16.99 it's not going to break the bank. As for the recipe, while I thought it was good it wasn't my favourite.  The flavours were quite subtle, and I prefer a richer more chocolately flavour.  My Malteser (aka Whoppers) loving friends thought they were great though.     

Thanks to Find Me A Gift for providing me with the mini cupcake maker for review. 


Comments