Bread for the Journey



Isaiah 54:10
For the Mountains shall depart and the hills be removed,
But My kindness shall not depart from you, Nor shall My covenant of peace be removed,"
Says the LORD, who has mercy on you.

We live at the foot of Mt. Cheam on the eastern end of the Fraser Valley.
Every morning when I go into my kitchen, this mountain dominates the view outside my window.
It is 7200 feet high, snow capped for 10 months of the year and is a bastion of permanence.

This verse from Isaiah caught my eye last week and I've been pondering it for awhile in light of the mountain outside my window.

In Isaiah 54 God speaks to the discouraged and despairing telling them not to fear, that their disgrace, their fear, their reproach will not last forever. God promises them that He has not forsaken them, that His wrath is not forever, but that His kindness and mercy are everlasting.

Then He uses the imagery of the mountains - these massive  landmarks, these symbols of permanence to assure them that His kindness will outlast even the mountains, His promise of peace will stand long after the mountains have crumbled.

In times of discouragement, when life is overwhelming and fear dominates,
remember that God's kindness will never depart from you;
His peace and His mercy will outlast the mountains.




Comments