Saturday in Bev's kitchen


This is how Saturday used to look in my kitchen.


This is how it looks now.

After 37 years of working in this kitchen, we have taken the plunge into demolition and renovations.
I can hear the groans and feel the shudders of those of you who have been this route and lived to tell about it.
Tales of microwaves in the laundry room, TV dinners and barbequing in the rain. 
Of missing (and needed!) kitchen tools buried in bins who knows where, 
washing dishes in pails, and dust over everything.
Yes, it's all true, but a beautiful new kitchen will emerge from the dust and chaos and I'm holding on to that.

So where am I cooking this Saturday morning?
Here - in our cozy camper parked beside the house.


We cooked and ate our meals in this camper for 7 weeks a few years ago as we traveled across Canada from West to East and back again and we figure we can do it again over the next 2 or 3 months.
I have everything I need, with the bonus of electricity and more fridge space 
(we've moved my refrigerator to the garage til the work is done)
Thankfully we are having a warm winter here so I don't have to bundle up to run the short distance 
between the house and the camper. 
If we lived near Betty and Charlotte this winter, we'd be microwaving in the laundry room for sure! 

Of course, cooking has become simpler - 
I just don't have access to all my pans and gadgets.  
But I have already baked Cherry Platz  and made a hearty soup, proving that you don't need a large, perfectly equipped kitchen to put good food on the table.
Small and simple is just fine - fewer dishes to clean up for one thing!
That's all for now but I promise to come back in a few months with a picture of 
Saturday in Bev's NEW kitchen.

Comments