White Chocolate Speculoos Rice Krispy Treats


A few days ago I found my self home alone.  Childless.  Husbandless.  All by my self.  And with no one to disturb me I decided to make the most of my time along by relaxing in a luxurious hour long bubble bath.  OK, OK I'm totally lying.  I did no such thing.  I actually found myself cleaning out the fridge and cupboards.  Not nearly as relaxing huh?  I was going through my cupboards when I came across a jar of leftover Speculoos from the Speculoos Swiss Roll I made a couple of months ago.  I also found a few half used boxes of cereal and some white chocolate(ish) bars by Silver Spoon which are very similar to candy melts but with a better consistency.  And since I'm trying to use up the contents of my cupboard at the moment, I figured what better way to do so than by combining everything to create some white chocolate Speculoos rice crispy treats.  

I guess you could say these are my take on the traditional "crispy cakes" that are so popular here in the UK.  Crispy cakes are basically just a mixture of cereal (usually cornflakes or rice krispies) along with melted chocolate, and sometimes marshmallows and/or raisins.  They're virtually effortless, but oh so delicious. Essentially they're idiot proof.  And they were probably one of my favourite homemade things that my co-workers would bring into the office to share with everyone. 

I'll admit right now that I've never made crispy cakes before.  I don't know why, but probably because they were just too simple - I'm aways trying to come up with new and exciting desserts, or attempting to re-create ones that I've found online or in recipe books.  


These are probably the simplest things I've ever made - aside from Jello.  Three ingredients. That's it.  White chocolate flavoured cake covering (or candy melts), Speculoos (Biscoff Spread) and Rice Krispies.  Really, that's it!


White Chocolate Speculoos Rice Krispy Treats

Ingredients: 

300g White Chocolate Cake Covering or Candy Melts
3/4 Cup Speculoos (Biscoff) Spread
4 Cups (120g) Rice Krispies cereal

Instructions:

1.  In a heat proof bowl or measuring cup, melt the white chocolate cake covering over a double boiler.

2.  Add in the Speculoos spread, and stir until fully incorporated with the melted white chocolate.

3.  Add the rice krispies and stir until they are fully mixed in with the speculoos white chocolate mixture.  Immediately spoon into small muffin cups, or spread in a flat layer over some foil or a silicone mat.  Allow to set for 10 minutes before serving.


I made a combination of the traditional "crispy cakes" in little cupcake cases, as well as some "bark" style treats.  After the flat bark style treats had set I just broke them into large pieces, but you could use cookie cutters to make fun shaped treats as well.



Comments