Cinnamon Biscuit Roll


This was a favorite of mine to bake when I was a young teenage girl. I would bake up a number of these cinnamon biscuit rolls for our lunches for school the next day. My siblings loved it because that meant there would be a change from the usual bologna sandwiches. I remember packing my lunch kit full of rolls and then I would trade at school with goodies from my friends lunches. And I was picky, I didn't trade off a roll just for anything! In the end I ended up with a pretty good variety of items! I'm not sure why my Mom allowed me to pack just these rolls for a lunch..although I think she enjoyed the stories of my trades when I came home from school. And mind you I wasn't allowed to bake these rolls just anytime I liked. Maybe it was on those days when there wasn't much else to pack. I'm sure I used more sugar and cinnamon now than I would have been allowed to back then.

Biscuit  dough: (or use your favorite recipe for biscuits)
  • 2  1/4 cups flour..plus extra for rolling out dough.
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, cut in cubes
  • 2 eggs
  • Milk
Filling:
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted 
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
  2. Cut in 1/2 cup butter until crumbly.
  3. Crack 2 eggs in a one cup measuring cup and fill cup with milk.
  4. Whisk till combined and stir into dry mixture just until combined.
  5. Form into a ball and roll out to approx 16 by 18", using only as much extra flour as needed so the dough doesn't stick to the counter.
  6. Spread melted butter on dough.
  7. Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over the dough. 
  8. Roll up as for cinnamon buns, sealing edges and ends well.
  9. Place roll on a parchment lined cookie sheet, the parchment is great for clean up in case your seal doesn't hold well. 
  10. Bake in a 400º oven for 20 minutes, until golden in color.
  11. Cool and cut in slices.


 Here is a lunch kit packed with cinnamon biscuit rolls!  This one belongs to my husband. I wish I still had mine.


Does anybody still have their old lunch kits?

Comments