Pickled Beetroot Like Mother Used to Make



This is an old, pickled beetroot recipe, my mother inherited from her mother and I didn't like or appreciate them much when I was a kid, as  I got older I started to realize how good they were for me and how versatile to use in many recipes. This is the recipe as I remember it.


Ingredients - Makes about 1 kg./2 lb. pickle

.10 fl. oz. malt vinegar
.5 fl. oz. water
.4 oz. sugar
.1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
.1 bay leaf
.2 cloves
,4 peppercorns
.4 medium cooked beetroots, sliced

Method

.Put all the ingredients, except the beetroots, into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
,Simmer for 5 minutes.
.Set aside to cool.
Pack the beetroots into hot, sterilised jars, then strain over the vinegar mixture to within 1/2 inch of the tops.
. Seal.
.Because of the high sugar contents of the beetroots, this pickle should be used as soon as possible.
.

Comments