Grandma Harder's Griddle Cakes



I'm not sure if this is bound to be a new kind of posting, but recently we got a request from Diane Neufeld, asking us to post her grandmother's griddle cakes from the old Mennonite Treasury. Since I love pancakes pretty well anytime, I did not even ask if anyone else would want to post it. So here it is. We had them for lunch recently and they were excellent. I followed the recipe as specified, except for the sifting of the flour and I used a non-stick griddle with no fat. They turned out quite thick, which I don't mind, but they could use a whole cup of milk if you like them thinner.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sifted flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup and 2 Tbsp milk
  • 1 Tbsp melted fat or cooking oil
Method:
  1. Mix  and sift dry ingredients together.
  2. Combine egg, milk and oil in a separate small bowl.
  3. Make a well in the dry ingredients, add liquids and combine.
  4. Brown on a hot, slightly greased griddle. 
  5. Makes about 12 cakes. 

Comments