Pineapple Chicken Rice - Gluten Free


This is one of my favourite comfort foods.
While my husband will still ask "What's for dessert?" , I need no dessert with this meal.

Before I give you  the recipe I'd like to share how I cook my rice -  I love it...  no mess, no fuss, perfect rice every time.   I like Uncle Ben's Brown rice , or converted rice .. my favourite is sprouted brown rice which is the most nutritious.

  • 1 cup rice 
  • 3 cups water 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1 tsp butter 
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  1. Put all ingredients into a microwave proof bowl or baking dish (with lid - can use plate)
  2. Place in microwave and set cook time for 25 minutes..  (microwaves vary so you might have to adjust for your microwave or the type of rice you prefer) 
Pineapple Chicken Rice 
  • 2 or 3 chicken breasts
  • 1 tin pineapple tidbits 
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar 
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg 
  • 1 tsp thyme 
  • 1 tbsp soya sauce (make sure its gluten free)  
  • 1/2 onion 
  • 2 tbsp butter 
  • 1 tbsp oil 
  • 1/2 tsp salt 
  • dash of pepper 
  • 3 tbsp cornstarch 
  • pineapple juice 
  1. Season chicken breast and cook as desired -  I like to do them in the pressure cooker - it takes 20 minutes and they are melt in your mouth tender. 
  2. Put finely chopped onion and butter/oil into sauce pan and cook until onion is tender.  
  3. Mix sugar, nutmeg, thyme, salt, pepper and cornstarch. 
  4. Drain pineapple tidbits, saving juice - add more pineapple juice  to make 2 cups 
  5. Add soya sauce
  6. Stir juice/soya sauce into dry ingredients and mix until smooth 
  7. Add to onions and cook , stirring until smooth and thickened. 
  8. Add pineapple tidbits 
  9. Add chicken cut up into bite size pieces. 
  10. Cook a minute or two to make sure it is all heated through.
  11. Serve over rice..... Enjoy ! 
NOTE -  sugars and spices can be adjusted to personal taste. 


Comments