Bread for the Journey



I have always enjoyed knitting.  
I have memories of me as a little girl  sitting on a small chair beside my mother, 
being so proud that I was knitting 'just like her'. 
I was knitting a project recently and I made a mistake that forced me to unravel my work 
to below the mistake so I could then continue knitting my project. 

My thoughts fell into rhythm with the click of the needles.   
I thought about the difference between knitting and sewing 
and 
the difference between man's forgiveness and God's forgiveness. 

Having been a seamstress/alterationist for many years I think I have seen just about every kind of damage that can be done to a garment either during construction or after.  
 I have patched, camouflaged, twisted and turned to repair the damage, to restore the garment
as close to 'good as new' as I could - but  even at best,  the garment had been patched.  
 So often man's forgiveness is like that, isn't it ?   
We forgive one another - but we only  'patch it up'.
We remember and know exactly where the patch is.  

But with knitting, a mistake does not damage the garment, it never needs a patch or repair.  
The offending stitches are simply undone and the knitting continued. 
No one could ever know that a mistake had been made because the garment is perfect. 
That is what God's forgiveness is like.   
When we come to Him with our 'messes' , our sin and ask Him to forgive us,
He doesn't put a patch over it.
He unravels the mistake, picks up the stitches of our life and resumes knitting 
as though the mistake had never been made.  

Aren't you thankful God is a 'knitter' not a 'sewer' ? 

   "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins 
and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 
1 John 1:9
   "As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us." 
  Psalm 103:12

Comments