Banana Bread Plus


I love baking. I love baking quick breads and eating them. The problem is that most quick breads are filled with sugar and white flour. Both items I try to minimize in my diet and lets face it we love to eat comfort foods.


My goal with my family has been to provide comfort foods without compromising the experience. Meaning that “No matter how healthy it is, if our families won’t eat it, we have wasted our time”. We often get into these nutrition kicks and make our families suffer for the sake of health and nutrition.

I have found that I can have the best of both worlds. I have stated often and will stand behind my statement that the three pieces of equipment you need in your kitchen if you want to be healthy are a mixer, flour mill, and a pressure cooker. Honeyville carries my three favorite ones. The Wondermix, the Wondermill, and the Fagor Pressure Cooker. I love these three pieces of equipment and over the next few months I am going to teach you how to add much needed nutrition to your diet without compromising taste using the Wondermix, the Wondermill, and the Fagor Pressure Cooker.

With the right equipment and the right ingredients, both of which Honeyville has, I have proved time and time again that healthy can and should taste great. From breads to desserts, main courses to sandwiches, they can be healthy and tasty at the same time.

So this blog is all about sweet breads, breads that do not require yeast. Like lemon breads, banana breads, and other style of breads that we love to eat and most often are packed with sugar and white flour.

No need for either. I have found that there are many whole grain flours that really taste great and work well in this style of bread. And most often no one can actually tell the difference. These breads tend to have texture already, so when adding a whole grain, it is hard to tell.

Spelt is a good one and of course I love Kamut. Kamut has a wonderful buttery flavor. I like to grind it on the finest setting on the Wondermill , the pastry setting gives it optimal texture for this style of bread. What ever grains you choose, grind on the fine setting and you will have great success.

For sugars I love to use coconut sugar or agave. They are low on the glycemic index, meaning that they are slower to digest and do not spike the blood sugar and do not turn to fat in the body. Excellent choices for health conscious people or those suffering with illnesses. Honeyville carries both of these products and I love the brands that they carry.

I am looking forward to sharing with you recipes that will help you build confidence in your ability to provide good healthy foods that taste great and more important are good for your body.


Happy Baking,


Chef Brad~America’s Grain Guy



Banana Bread Plus
This makes a wonderfully healthy banana bread. Any whole grain flour works well in banana bread. In fact this on one recipe that really allows for a healthy snack.

Ingredients:
4 ripe bananas, mashed
2 small red potatoes, cooked tender
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, not melted
2 teaspoon baking soda, added to sour milk
1 cups sour milk or buttermilk
2 cups coconut sugar or 1 1/2 cups agave
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups fresh ground spelt flour or WonderFlour or your favorite whole grain flour
1 cups nuts, chopped


Directions:

  1. In your Wondermix place bananas and potatoes in bowl with wire whips. Mash them together and add butter or coconut oil with the smashed potatoes and bananas.
  2. Add sour milk (with soda), vanilla, salt, and sugar. Add flour, and nuts. Mix well and place in sprayed pans. 
  3. Bake in greased pans 1 hour at 350 degrees. Baking time depends on size of pans. Use a toothpick placed in the center of the bread. When it comes out dry it’s done. 

Yield: 2 large loaves or 6 small loaves. 






**For Gluten Free Version**
Use the same recipes just use a blend of three or more grains ground fresh in your Wondermill. I have found that most recipes that do not use yeast you can use a blend of three or more gluten free grains and it works well. Amaranth, brown rice, sorghum, quinoa, teff, and buckwheat are all great grains to use.

Comments