Bacon Cookies


I love fresh nut butters and I adore good crispy bacon. The fats from the nut oils are good for us and bacon speaks for itself. I was ready to dig in and create another new nut-butters recipe and then thought, “Why not see what is out there already that I can play with!”

The changes I made were these: I lowered the honey from a ½ cup honey to ¼ cup, I used less chocolate chips, a pinch more salt, I added nuts, I added chopped bacon and hickory smoked salt and slightly altered how I made them in the instructions. This all lowered the sugar and carbs quite a bit for my preferences overall, added more good healthy fats and quite a twist on flavor. Voila, Bacon Cookies!



INGREDIENTS:
¾ cup macadamia nut butter
¼ cup cashew butter
¼ cup organic honey
¼ cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon liquid vanilla extract
1 egg (room temp)
2 tablespoons coconut flour
2 pinches of salt
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup chopped walnuts



TOPPING:
6 slices cooked crispy bacon
1 teaspoon hickory smoked salt (any salt or sea salt will work too)

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  2. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Place the two nut butters, honey, coconut oil, vanilla, and egg in a bowl.
  4. Mix well by hand.
  5. Add the coconut flour and salt and mix well.
  6. Gently mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.
  7. Chill the batter a good 30-40 minutes or longer.
  8. Drop round tablespoon balls of dough on the parchment.
  9. Make a thumbprint.
  10. Add chopped bacon by pressing some into the hole.
  11. Add a small pinch of hickory salt to the top of each cookie.
  12. Place on rack in the center of the oven.
  13. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until slightly brown but not dark on edges.
  14. Remove from the oven and let sit on parchment.
  15. Remove to rack.
  16. Finish each batch as per the above.
  17. Enjoy!




Comments